NOTE MIXED BROTH: - if you can't buy mixed broth (packed blend of grain and
legume), then mix together 2oz barley, 1oz of lentils and 1oz dried green
1. Wash the broth mix in plenty of water - this gets rid of any flour and
2. The above list of vegetables, including a little celery, is purely a
guide for ingredients and it can be varied according to what you have, or
the flavor you prefer.
3. In a pan big enough for everything, first sweat the onions in a little
oil, and then sweat the rest of the vegetables.
4. Add stock and broth mix. 2pts-metric Vegetable Stock. If you don't have
any vegetable stock a stock cube will do (Knorr make good ones).
5. Simmer for 2 hours topping the water up where necessary until the barley
and peas are soft.
6. Serve the next day with some good home made bread.
EACH: 226 cals, 12% from fat, (3g total fat), 43g carbs, (9g fiber), 8
protein. Analysis estimated by MasterCook.
As a lunchtime meal it will provide a nutritious and filling stop gap. If
you are eating it as a starter, use it in the traditional manner - to fill
you up so you won't want as much meat!