1. Place flour, sugar, oil, and egg in a bowl. Whisk in milk until smooth.
2. Pre-heat a non-stick skillet over medium heat. Lightly oil or grease skillet with vegetable shortening.
3. Test skillet by using a small amount of batter. It should gently puff up after about 30 seconds.
4. Discard test piece and ladle about 1/2 cup batter into skillet.
5. I like to think that I am actually baking on top of the stove. If the skillet is too hot, the outside will burn before the middle is done enough to turn.
6. Let cook until bubbly on top and under side is a golden brown. flip and cook till golden brown.
7. I have fun with this by making my childrens initials (thick block style letters). Also, you can drizzle a design on the hot skillet and then ladle pancake batter over this. When flipped, the drizzle design will show up. You can put the batter in a squeeze bottle to really be precise. This really delights small children and lets your 'almost grown' teen-agers know that they will always be your babies.