The main thing we need to do is get everything ready before we start cooking. Please be aware, that
your Spring Roll Pastry will dry out as soon as it makes contact with the air so please use a damp tea
towel to cover it whilst you are preparing everything. These Spring Rolls will be made roughly the
length of your finger. You can make them bigger if you wish, adjust amount of filling accordingly.
Prepare the Vegetables:
First we will prepare all the vegetable items and place
on a plate.
1. Chop mushrooms (1/2 cm sized pieces)
2. Chop cilantro/ coriander, and Spring Onion / scallion
shred (see picture) Cut it across into 1 inch lengths and
3. Finely chop ginger and garlic.
4. Place beansprouts on plate (no need to chop)
1. Cut meat finely. Start by cutting your fillet in half
horizontally then vertically slice down to make
matchstick sizes (step 1 & 2 photos)
2. Place in a bowl and add the
wine,cornstarch,chicken stock,water,sesame oil.
3. Stir very well to get everything combined.
4. Slice prawns horizontally in half then cut into 1cm
pieces. Place in a separate bowl
Cook the meat & mushrooms
1. Add 1 teaspoon Vegetable oil to a pan.
Add mushrooms, ginger & garlic. fry until
2. Add the pork. Stir fry until cooked.
Transfer to your mixing bowl and allow
Once the meat has cooled, add all the other ingredients together with the oyster sauce and combine very well.
Making the wraps.
These wraps are a standard size so we need to cut them into quarters otherwise your spring rolls will be huge! You will need a little bowl of water to wet the sides so they stick.
1. Cut the wraps into equal sqaures (10cm x 10cm each)
2. Turn the wrap so it is like a diamond shape, and with your finger,run water along the sides.
3. Add a teaspoon of filling to the centre of the pastry
4. Take the bottom corner and pull over the filling
5. Bring the left & right sides together. If necessary, add a bit of water to the pastry to help it stick.
6. from the bottom, roll forward so you have a little triangle piece of pasty sticking out at the top. put a bit of water on this bit.
7. Seal the little triangle down and check there are no holes. Use water to stick any gaps of pastry together
Ready for a quick fry.!
Put enough vegetable oil in a sauce pan, I prefer to fry 4-5
rolls at a time.
When hot enough, add the rolls and cook until golden.
(The first roll on the left ofthe photo I had the oil too hot. If
yours go brown too fast, turn the heat down a little. The
second roll from the left is the correct colour!)
Remove and drain on some kitchen paper, and serve with
Worcester sauce or sweet chili sauce for dipping.